Advertisements


BFAR-Abra boosts food security

BANGUED, Abra, June 14 (PIA) -- The establishment of a new office and the appointment of a new provincial head of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) in the province of Abra ushered t.....»»

Category: newsSource: manilanews manilanewsJun 14th, 2018

NNC 7 Pushes HCFP to Help ECCD F1K Program

The National Nutrition Council Region 7 (NNC 7) pushes Home and Community Food Production (HCFP) to help the Early Childhood Care and Development in the First 1000 Days (ECCD F1K) program. The HCFP help participants to produce their own food and ensure food security in different participating municipalities in the Province of Cebu. According to […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsJun 19th, 2018

Duterte not keen on addressing poverty felt by Filipinos, group says

The recent admission made by President Rodrigo Duterte saying that the country would never achieve rice self-sufficiency is a clear admission that attainment of rice self-sufficiency and food security is not in the economic agenda of the present administration......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsJun 16th, 2018

SSS, affordable savings option for Filipinos

BANGUED, Abra, June 14 (PIA) -- The Personal Equity and Savings Option (PESO) Fund of the Social Security System (SSS) is the most attractive, accessible and affordable savings option for the working.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJun 14th, 2018

Kim Jong-un brings own toilet to US-North Korea summit

North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un arrived in Singapore for his summit with President Donald Trump with security in mind – dispatching decoy planes from Pyongyang to thwart anyone who might try to attack him and packing his own food for his visit to try to prevent poisoning, according to a report in USA Today on Monday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 12th, 2018

Palace: Phl not taking soft stance on China

The Palace denied it is going soft on China amid reports of a resumption of build-up over disputed portions of the South China Sea (SCS) that foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) have criticized. Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the Philippines shares Asean leaders’ concern regarding China’s aggressive actions on what is said to be the world’s busiest waterways.The recently concluded Asean foreign and defense ministers in Singapore issued a statement that did not name China but said that “land reclamations and activities in the area . . . have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and may undermine peace, security and stability in the region.” The Asean ministers resolved to expedite the code of conduct (CoC) on how to negotiate with China regarding overlapping maritime claims.“Asean’s concern on the Chinese build-up is right because Asean, as a regional bloc, wants to adhere to discussions pertaining to the code of conduct,” Roque said.“We cannot be not joining the call because the Philippines is one of those concerned in this campaign,” he added.Roque also disputed views that Manila is not among those insistent in pressing Beijing to speed up the CoC drafting. “We are not being too soft (on China) but we have an established policy on that. Number one, of course, is we are one with Asean in recognizing that this is a concern for all Asean countries. Particularly that of the freedom of navigation in the West Philippine Sea,” Roque said.“Our common concern is peace security and stability in one of the world’s busiest sea lanes,” he added.During Manila’s hosting of the Asean last year, President Duterte did not cite the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) ruling that nullified Beijing’s sweeping claim over nearly the entire South China Sea.It was the Philippine government that contested China’s nine-dash-line claim before the Hague court. China, however, refuses to recognize it.Apart from the Philippines, other Asean countries also have overlapping claims at the South China Sea including Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.Reclamation to continueChina in its known mouthpiece Global Times said Beijing is concentrating on civil and not military construction on islands in the South China Sea but insisted that the Chinese “will expand land reclamation.”“Most of the construction on islands in the South China Sea were completed in 2015 and the pace then slowed. Civilian facility construction is the major focus of the South China Sea islands building and the portion of defense deployment is relatively small,” Global Times quoted Chen Xiangmiao, a research fellow at the National Institute for the South China Sea.The size of some South China Sea islands will be further expanded in future through more dredging in the South China Sea region, Chen said.The relationship between China and other Southeast Asian countries, such as the Philippines, has becalmed in recent years, providing a golden opportunity for China to upgrade these areas, he said.China and the Philippines are enjoying good terms as President Rodrigo Duterte maintains a friendly policy toward China, Chen said. “But there is still some domestic pressure that urges Duterte to take a tough stance on China and the South China Sea issue,” Chen said.Foreign media like to hype China’s construction in the South China Sea as they try to make excuses to prevent China’s activities in this region, Zhuang Guotu, head of Xiamen University’s Southeast Asian Studies Center, told the Global Times.“China has the right to build whatever it needs within its territory,” Zhuang said.China’s military deployment in the South China Sea region was “not for military expansion,” but to defend its security and interests, he said.Zhuang and Chen warned the US is the biggest threat to stability in the South China Sea.“The US, Australia, Japan and other allies will constantly provoke China over this issue and that will incite other neighboring South China Sea countries to do the same,” Zhuang said.China’s construction projects in the region covered about 290,000 square meters in 2017, including new facilities for underground storage, administrative buildings and large radar, according to a report released in December on the nanhai.haiwainet.cn website run by the National Marine Data and Information Service and People’s Daily Overseas edition. No foreign vessels at BenhamThe Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has not monitored any foreign vessels at the Philippine Rise, formerly known as Benham Rise, during its latest patrol in the area. Lt. Col. Isagani Nato, AFP-Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) spokesman, said that based on the latest patrol conducted by Nolcom troops, there was no presence of foreign ships at Philippine Rise.“As of now, we don’t have a report that there is presence (of foreign vessels) in Benham Rise,” said Nato.Earlier, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol announced that President Duterte has banned foreign ships at the Philippine Rise and ordered the military to patrol the area.The announcement came following an uproar from government critics after the Duterte administration allowed the Chinese to conduct scientific research at the Philippine Rise.Nato, however, said that Nolcom is yet to receive official order regarding the matter.But Nato maintained that with or without the latest directive, Nolcom has regularly conducted air and maritime patrols along Philippine Rise.Apart from Nolcom, the Air Force and the Philippine Navy, Nato said that the Philippine Coast Guard, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and the Philippine National Police-Maritime Group (PNP-MG) also conduct their own patrol in the area.He said the Nolcom uses air and naval assets of the Navy and the Air Force units under its jurisdiction.“We conduct our patrols regularly. It is a mandate of Nolcom forces so that is continuous with or without the directive from higher ups,” said Nato.According to Nato, Nolcom conducts three to four maritime and air patrol at Philippine Rise per month as part of the government efforts to secure the country’s maritime domain.ML ruling lauded, hitThe Supreme Court’s (SC) decision to uphold Mr. Duterte’s year-long martial law extension in Mindanao also drew mixed reactions.The High Court on Tuesday voted 10-5 junking militant groups’ petition and finding “sufficient factual basis” to extend martial law and suspend the privilege of wirt of habeas corpus in Mindanao until December 31, 2018.Roque welcomed the ruling saying that it affirms the need to continue protecting citizens from the threat of terrorist groups, primarily Islamic State (IS)-inspired fanatics.But for Left-leaning groups who petitioned the SC to lift martial law, the court decision opens up more crackdowns and human rights violations.The Palace official has insisted that human rights will be respected amid security operations.“The SC ruling underscores the unity of the whole government in its bid to defeat terrorism and prevent the spread in other parts of the country of DIWW and other like-minded local and foreign terrorist groups,” Roque said.“The majority of votes is a manifestation of confidence on law enforcement agencies that they shall, like they had been doing before, continue to protect our people, secure Mindanao, and pursue the bigger task of rehabilitation while upholding the rule of law, Human Rights, and International Humanitarian Law,” he added.Human rights watchdog Karapatan sees the contrary in the government’s motives, saying that the year-long military rule will boost attacks on the people.The continuous implementation of martial law in Mindanao will allow the unhampered massive rehabilitation in war-torn Marawi City and boost the security forces campaign to finish off the rebellion, the Department of National Defense (DND) said. In a statement, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the Supreme Court’s decision affirming the constitutionality of the one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao will definitely boost government efforts to rebuild Marawi City and address continuing rebellion.The defense chief welcomed the SC decision as a vote of confidence to the government security forces.“The DND – AFP is grateful for the trust and confidence of our public institutions and the support of the Filipino people,” said Lorenzana. Mario J. Mallari.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

House okays bill on marine protection

THE House of Representatives has approved on third and final reading a proposed law seeking to establish a National Mariculture Program to strengthen the Philippine fisheries and aquaculture sector and ensure our country’s food security. House Bill 7506 or “The National Mariculture Program Act” principally authored by Batangas Rep. Vilma….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJun 6th, 2018

Letters: Revisiting 1 year of tyranny and social insufficiency in Mindanao

By RENMIN VIZCONDE, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, PHILIPPINE NETWORK OF FOOD SECURITY PROGRAMS www.nordis.net 2May 24, 2018 WE DEMAND the immediate lifting of Martial Law to end military rule that further oppressed the toiling people of Mindanao. As we observe, said year of military rule in Mindanao brought widespread human rights violations ….....»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsMay 27th, 2018

Philippines, Papua New Guinea Sign Agriculture Cooperation

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Wednesday, May 16, received Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’Neill in Malacañan Palace, where the two leaders witnessed the signing of an agriculture cooperation that would further boost food security in both countries. Prime Minister O’Neill arrived at 5pm in Malacañan and was accorded with arrival honors. He was […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsMay 17th, 2018

Jollibee says addressing delivery website s data privacy issues

Homegrown fast-food giant Jollibee Foods Corp. on Wednesday said it is now taking steps to resolve the potential security risks in its online delivery service......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 9th, 2018

Jollibee ordered to suspend delivery website after data breach

The National Privacy Commission (NPC) has ordered Jollibee Foods Corporation (JFC) to suspend its online food delivery operations and implement preventive website security measures after a data breach incident last December exposed Jollibee’s customer database. In a commission order dated May 4 and issued by NPC’s Legal and Enforcement Office, the NPC said Jollibee’s data privacy officer […] The post Jollibee ordered to suspend delivery website after data breach appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 8th, 2018

Boost PH’s food security, President tells farmers

President Rodrigo Duterte has called on farmers to continue producing food for Filipinos and help boost the country’s food security, and promised sustained support for them. In a speech during the distribution of certificates of land ownership award (CLOAs) to 1,680 agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs) in Sultan Kudarat, Duterte said the government would continue to support them [...] The post Boost PH’s food security, President tells farmers appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 4th, 2018

COA wants Ombudsman to probe FDA execs over security contract

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Audit (COA) wants the Office of the Ombudsman to investigate officials of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for an alleged illegal security agency contract extension back in 2012. According to the COA's Commission Proper, it said the P2.46 million paid to Maximum Security ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 28th, 2018

COA wants Ombudsman to look into FDA execs over security contract

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Audit (COA) wants the Office of the Ombudsman to investigate officials of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for an alleged illegal security agency contract extension back in 2012. According to the COA's Commission Proper, it said the P2.46 million paid to Maximum Security ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 27th, 2018

UN and EU say food insecurity worsens as conflicts rage

PARIS, France – The food security of around 124 million people worldwide was under acute threat at the end of last year, mostly because of worsening conflicts and drought, the UN and EU said Thursday, March 22. The worst food crises in 2017 were in northeastern Nigeria, Somalia, Yemen and South ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 22nd, 2018

NGO Hails Duterte Admin Approval of P192m for Local Climate Action

A Manila-based international climate policy group applauded the Duterte administration’s move granting close to P200 million in climate funds to four local governments. The approval is a response to communities grappling with food security and water scarcity in the face of climate change. Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez, chair of the People’s Survival Fund board, today […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsMar 8th, 2018

Belgian official calls for peace for troubled Abra

BANGUED, Abra — A government official from the Province of East Flanders in Belgium called on all stakeholders to work for peace amid security threats and rights violations in community recepients of development projects supported by his province......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsMar 4th, 2018

PNP boosts target hardening to prevent another Marawi

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) has intensified security measures in Mindanao to prevent a repeat of the Marawi siege following re.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 26th, 2018

IAEA Director General Visits Philippines: Discusses Support for Nuclear Techniques in Food Security, Health and Nuclear Power

Sustainable agriculture and food security High level discussions with senior officials focused on how the IAEA assists Member States in the safe and appropriate use of nuclear and related technolog.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2018

IAEA Director General Visits Philippines: Discusses Support for Nuclear Techniques in Food Security, Health and Nuclear Power

Sustainable agriculture and food security High level discussions with senior officials focused on how the IAEA assists Member States in the safe and appropriate use of nuclear and related technolog.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2018

Jollibee boosts stake in Smashburger to 85%

Homegrown food giant Jollibee Foods Corp. (JFC) has further ramped up its stake in United States-brand Smashburger with an additional investment of $100 million. In a disclosure to the stock exchange on Tuesday, JFC said its wholly-owned unit Bee Good! Inc. (BGI) has purchased 45% shares in Smashburger Master LLC (Master), bringing its ownership in […] The post Jollibee boosts stake in Smashburger to 85% appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsFeb 13th, 2018