Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Provincial Health Office calls on barangays to activate dengue brigades

CEBU CITY, Philippines—The Provincial Health Office (PHO) is urging barangays to activate their dengue brigades to prevent the spreading of the disease in Cebu. Dr. Shiela Faciol, head of the PHO’s Public Health Operations, said the villages must be proactive in their education campaigns among their constituents to prevent the incidence of dengue. READ: Capitol warns […] The post Provincial Health Office calls on barangays to activate dengue brigades appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 31st, 2019

LETTER TO THE EDITOR | WON got it all wrong

ACT has been profiled since November last year (experienced here in Baguio by schools under the jurisdiction of Police Station 2 and in Apayao), was subject to state negative electioneering (“Huwag iboto ang ACT Partylist – Komunistang Partylist!”) and fake news that ACT Partylist was disqualified and I, as the third nominee, was tagged as a CPP-NPA-NDF member. And with these, the state has opened us up as targets of state attacks in various forms......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsJul 18th, 2019

Letter to the Editor: Big challenges for a big (Davao) city”

Dear Mindanao Examiner Editor, I am writing to express my concern towards a very important health problem that maybe hasn’t […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJul 14th, 2019

LETTER TO THE EDITOR | WON got it all wrong

ACT has been profiled since November last year (experienced here in Baguio by schools under the jurisdiction of Police Station 2 and in Apayao), was subject to state negative electioneering (“Huwag iboto ang ACT Partylist – Komunistang Partylist!”) and fake news that ACT Partylist was disqualified and I, as the third nominee, was tagged as a CPP-NPA-NDF member. And with these, the state has opened us up as targets of state attacks in various forms......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsJul 14th, 2019

Cayetano and Velasco to share term as House Speakers – Duterte | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: Duterte says Cayetano, Velasco to share term as House Speaker Final PCG-Marina report: Chinese ship failed to prevent sea collision At midterm mark, Duterte scores his highest satisfaction rating Thai beauty queen aspirant criticized for calling Catriona Gray 'fat' Prince Harry and Meghan's son Archie christened in private service Executive Producer / Writer Lilibeth Frondoso Associate Producer / Publisher Marga Deona Jaira Roxas Master Editor / Playback Emerald Hidalgo Jaene Zaplan Jaen Manegdeg Quita Chuatico – Rappler.com.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 8th, 2019

BFP enjoins families, communities to be proactive in fire safety

SAN JOSE, Antique, June 26 (PIA) -- The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) enjoined the families and communities in general to be proactive in fire safety in order to prevent the occurrence of destruc.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJun 26th, 2019

BFP enjoins families, communities to be proactive in fire safety

SAN JOSE, Antique, June 26 (PIA) -- The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) enjoined the families and communities in general to be proactive in fire safety in order to prevent the occurrence of destruc.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJun 26th, 2019

[OPINION] The press owes society courage

Note: This is the speech of Marty Baron, executive editor of The Washington Post, after receiving on Thursday, June 13, the Canadian Journalism Foundation 's Special Citation "in recognition of his extraordinary contribution and fearless approach to journalism." Rappler CEO and executive editor Maria Ressa was also honored by CJF ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 15th, 2019

Ceferin stresses big clubs with closed Champions League idea

By Rob Harris, Associated Press UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin told leaders from European leagues not to forget the importance of big clubs in generating cash during a private meeting in which plans were detailed for a closed-off Champions League favoring the elite. A recording and images obtained by The Associated Press from the meeting at the UEFA headquarters on Wednesday highlights the schism between clubs and leagues over the ability to influence UEFA as it considers revamping its club competitions starting with the 2024-25 season. The dramatic proposal, shown during the meeting in Nyon, would lock in 24 of the 32 slots in the Champions League without the need to qualify annually through domestic leagues and would introduce promotion from and relegation to the Europa League. The plan has infuriated domestic leagues, particularly La Liga President Javier Tebas, who views UEFA as too closely aligned to the vision of European Club Association head Andrea Agnelli of Juventus. In a letter obtained by the AP last month, European Leagues President Lars-Christer Olsson floated the possibility of an investigation to determine whether the ECA was abusing a dominant position as UEFA was lobbied for more games between leading clubs. "Speaking about big clubs, this is a typical populist tool that is used in Europe not only in football," Ceferin told European Leagues representatives in the closed-doors meeting. "More and more the rich are taking everything from you and we the rich will help. Is that logical? I don't think so. And it's true big clubs are taking a lot of money, the most the biggest amount of money because of their results. And it's true that we have to think about that. But they're also bringing a lot of money on the table which is very easily forgotten." Hitting out at claims he is "killing football," Ceferin rebuked members of the European Leagues organization over public criticism and warned his executive committee could have pushed ahead with a revamp of competitions without discussing it with them. "We will not insult, but the more shouting there will be, the less consultation process there will be," Ceferin said. "Shouting in the media tells us much more about those people than about UEFA," Ceferin added. "We were listening about what will happen here, about how we are killing football, destroying football — despite the fact that UEFA is the only organization in European football that shares money as solidarity to every single country in Europe." The early UEFA vision, if approved, would see the Champions League group stage start a month earlier in August and double the size of each group to eight teams. But 24 of the 32 clubs in the 2024-25 group stage could retain their places the following season regardless of their domestic league finish. That would give certainty to leading clubs that attract the biggest television audiences but reduced opportunities for outsiders. Four Champions League teams will be relegated each season into the next season's second-tier Europa League. They would be replaced by the Europa League semifinalists, who would be promoted. Only four qualifying places would be left for national champions competing in preliminary rounds. It would leave the Dutch league runner-up — as Ajax was before reaching the Champions League semifinals this season — with no ability to qualify. Promotion and relegation is also envisaged between the Europa League and a third-tier competition that has yet to launch. The third competition, first revealed by the AP in 2015, would kick off in the 2021-22 season with a 32-team format in eight groups of four. But it could be enlarged to 64 teams from 2024, with four groups of 16 teams, possibly arranged by region, according to the UEFA documents. "You have to know that the ones who are shouting generate huge revenues and don't share anything with the others in Europe," Ceferin said. "The ones who really have problems respectfully and humbly wait for our explanation. And that's why we want to discuss we want to discuss because of the ones who deserve. That we discuss the ones who need our help and not the ones who are scared about their personal interest." In 2016, Ceferin decried a secret deal over Champions League changes agreed just before he was elected to succeed Michel Platini as UEFA president. Ceferin was frustrated UEFA caved into demands of Spain, Germany, England and Italy to guarantee them 16 of the 32 Champions League group-stage places. Now Ceferin is giving the impression he is consulting more by bringing leagues and clubs to meetings in Nyon. But his unhappiness with officials from leagues was clear in the tone. "We can go to the ExCo and decide and not ask anyone and your representative in the ExCo go can vote against," Ceferin said, referring to Olsson, who sits on the executive committee. "But we don't want to do it. That's why we are discussing. Legal action threats, I will not comment that much. As a lawyer with 25 year experience, this is quite the joke." Ceferin called on European Leagues officials to approach the talks "with some class without hostility and without false solidarity" and challenged them to come forward with proposals. "I hope we will exchange many important ideas and arguments," Ceferin said. "And if we do that we will come at the end to a solution that will be good for all the European football and — trust me or don't trust me — but the fact is that for UEFA that's our goal. We cannot do what clubs say and we cannot do what league say. We will do what is right for European football. And we will protect it together.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 11th, 2019

Federer: Tennis taking proactive approach to address fixing

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — At last year's Australian Open, the players were caught by surprise when a report was published on the eve of the season-opening Grand Slam alleging widespread match-fixing in the sport. Every news conference felt like an ambush, a peppering of pointed questions about corruption. This year, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and other stars of the game seem better prepared. They've got their talking points ready — and they can even have a sense of humor about the subject. 'I thought we were going to finish on a good one,' Federer quipped when a match-fixing question was asked at the very end of his pre-tournament news conference on Saturday. Then he smiled. It most likely won't be the last he'll ever be asked, either. Last season's tournament began beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and BuzzFeed alleged that tennis authorities had overlooked suspected cases of match-fixing involving some top players, none of whom were named. Federer, in response, called the situation 'super serious' and argued that anyone who engages in match-fixing should be identified publicly. In the past year, this is what tennis authorities have tried to do. Nine players and officials were sanctioned by the Tennis Integrity Unit in 2016 — the most in a single year since the body was created in 2008. In the first two weeks of this year, six more were added to the list. All of them were lower-ranked players who played primarily on the lower-tier Challenger and Futures tours, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing because of the smaller purses and lack of scrutiny compared with larger ATP and WTA events. Federer said this is where tennis officials need to be focusing their efforts. 'Clearly we have no space for that kind of behavior in our sport,' he said, adding that efforts to combat corruption have had positive spinoffs. 'The good thing is that it's really only zero-point-something percent of players that actually have done something over the course of so many matches and so many players. I think we've done actually OK.' To be exact, the TIU said that only 292 matches generated suspicious betting alerts out of more than 114,000 played last year, or about 0.2 percent. Betting alerts, on their own, are also not conclusive proof that a match has been fixed. Federer also applauded the TIU's decision to name an independent review panel to examine its operations and recommend changes. The report is due later this year. 'That's going to change the sport for the better,' he said. Djokovic also said the problem seems to be confined to the lower-tier tours, taking a subtle shot at the media for making 'a great deal about it' when a case arises. But he, too, stressed that progress has been made and he believes the sport is cleaner than it was 12 months ago. 'Ideally, we don't want to see any kind of match-fixing occurrences,' he said. 'But, unfortunately, they do occur from time to time. 'We haven't experienced too many. Generally looking I think ATP and all the authorities are doing a good job in kind of tracking down those kind of potential match-fixing matches.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: On Children’s month and children’s right to participation

Letter to the Editor On Children’s Month &'160; November 21, 2016 &'160; On children’s month and children’s right to participation November 20 was the anniversary of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), wh.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 21st, 2016

Letter to the Editor: We are part and partners for change – Nagkahiusang Mag-uumang Organiko

Statement of Nagkahiusang Mag-uumang Organiko on its 2nd Founding Anniversary Celebration The election of President Duterte to office was evident enough to say that the mass majority of the Philippine population is fed-up with the shallow political promis.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsSep 20th, 2016

Rody tells AFP: Fight terror a la James Bond

MANILA, Philippines – How do you prevent terrorism from becoming a full-blown civil war? Deal with it a la James Bond......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 14th, 2016

How to deal with terrorism? Duterte says do it James Bond style

MANILA, Philippines -- How do you prevent terrorism from escalating into a full blown civil war? Deal with it James Bond style.  .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 14th, 2016

DOLE: Abolish ‘ENDO’

Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III has instructed all regional directors of the department to be more proactive in their approach to reduce “endo” practice by 50 percent in 2016 and its abolishment by 2017. “Ang commitmen.....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsAug 7th, 2016

India, Philippines to bolster cooperation for fighting terrorism

Manila [Philippines], Oct 20 (ANI): India and Philippines on Friday 'strongly condemned' terrorism in all manifestations and expressed commitment to continue their cooperation in fighting the global m.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsOct 20th, 2019

India, Philippines to bolster cooperation for fighting terrorism

Manila [Philippines], Oct 20 (ANI): India and Philippines on Friday 'strongly condemned' terrorism in all manifestations and expressed commitment to continue their cooperation in fighting the global m.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 20th, 2019

Insurgency-Free LGUs Not Exempt from Forming TF Vs. Rebellion

A ranking official of the national task force to end insurgency in the country on Wednesday said local government units declared as insurgency-free are not exempted from participating in the whole-of-nation approach in addressing local armed conflict. National Security Adviser Secretary Hermogenes Esperon, vice chair of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsOct 19th, 2019

TNT gets Digregorio, trades Heruela to Blackwater

MANILA, Philippines – TNT bolstered its title hunt in the PBA Governors' Cup after acquiring Mike Digregorio from Blackwater in exchange for Brian Heruela.  The KaTropa are currently unbeaten in 7 games, but that did not prevent them from pulling off the trade announced by the league on Saturday, October ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 19th, 2019

Leyte mayor slammed for mowing trees, plants in road clearing operations

MANILA, Philippines – A town mayor in Leyte has been slammed by his residents after overseeing road clearing operations that led to the razing of trees and shrubberies along the side of their roads allegedly without any consultation. In an open letter sent to Rappler on October 19, a certain ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 19th, 2019