Advertisements


Bus driving through flooded street, damaging resto, bank prompts call for probe

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Councilor Jerry Guardo is calling for an investigation on a bus that drove at high speed through waist-deep floodwaters at General Maxilom Avenue creating a huge wave in its wake that damaged some establishments in the area on Tuesday night (October 13). Netizen Lacida Geno captured the incident on […] The post Bus driving through flooded street, damaging resto, bank prompts call for probe appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerOct 14th, 2020

Noose found in stall of Bubba Wallace at Alabama NASCAR race

By JOHN ZENOR AP Sports Writer TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) — NASCAR said late Sunday that a noose was found in the garage stall of Bubba Wallace at the NASCAR race in Talladega. Wallace is the only full-time Black driver in NASCAR’s elite Cup Series. Two weeks ago, he successfully pushed for NASCAR to ban the Confederate flag at its tracks and properties. NASCAR said it has launched an immediate investigation into the noose. The series says it was “outraged” and said there is no place for racism in NASCAR. On Twitter, Wallace said the “the despicable act of racism and hatred leaves me incredibly saddened and serves as a painful reminder of how much further we have to go as a society and ow persistent we must be in the fight against racism.” “As my mother told me today, ‘They are just trying to scare you,'” he wrote. " This will not break me, I will not give in nor will I back down. I will continue to proudly stand for what I believe in. THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP's previous story is below It cost $40 to get into Talladega Superspeedway if you were one of 5,000 people to purchase a ticket and live within 150 miles of the NASCAR staple. But to get to the seat in Row 26A, Seat 12W, you first likely passed dozens of people outside the track proudly displaying Confederate flags, some flying them from pickup trucks. Look up, and you might spot a plane pulling a banner of the Southern symbol, now banned from being displayed inside race tracks, with the words “Defund NASCAR” The Confederate flags that once flew openly around the infield and stands are still for sale across the street. NASCAR hasn't disclosed how it will handle fans flying flags. With the most fans allowed into a NASCAR race during the Coronavirus pandemic it put the spotlight on the Confederate flag ban. There weren't any immediate reports of how many, if any, flags were confiscated or taken down at the venue. NASCAR two weeks ago said it would ban the Confederate flag at its tracks and venues following a call from Bubba Wallace, the series’ only full-time Black driver in the Cup Series. The ban was not tested last week at a track near Miami, where 1,000 military members attended the race. This weekend was seen as a much bigger challenge in the heart of the South with up to 5,000 fans allowed in and a relatively small number of RVs cleared to camp nearby. The ban drew informal protests Saturday and Sunday alike, with cars and pickup trucks driving along nearby roads flying the flag and parading past the entrance to the superspeedway, along with the plane. NASCAR did not acknowledged the plane or its banner, though executive Steve O’Donnell Tweeted a picture of black and white hands shaking: “You won’t see a photo of a jackass flying a flag over the track here...but you will see this...Hope EVERYONE enjoys the race today.” Rapper Ice Cube even tweeted about the plane saying, “(Expletive) him NASCAR, you got new fans in this household.” The race was pushed back to Monday afternoon because of heavy rain and lightning. But before the rain came, the scene was a dramatic departure from the Talladega norm. “It’s weird. It’s eerie,” said David Radvansky, 32, from suburban Atlanta, who brought his wife and boys, 3 and 6. Radvansky, who started coming to Talladega in the 1990s when his father parked cars at races, applauded NASCAR’s decision to ban the Confederate flags. “I don’t think there’s a place for it in NASCAR, to be honest with you,” the 32-year-old said. “That doesn’t sit well with all the good ole boys but it is what it is.” Fans had to go through screening and wear masks to get in for the race, though a few were walking around inside without theirs on. But lines seemed to flow quickly and the sun was shining until about an hour before the race, when rain and lightning started. Bathrooms had arrows directing patrons which way to enter or exit, and attendants lined the way holding signs urging them to “please wear your masks.” Directly across from the track, Ed Sugg’s merchandise tent flew Confederate flags prominently in a display alongside Trump for 2020 banners and an American flag. “They’re doing very well,” said the Helena, Alabama resident, who has been selling an array of wares at NASCAR races for 21 years. “People are disappointed that NASCAR has taken that stance. It’s been around for as long as all of us have been. I don’t think anybody really connects it to any kind of racism or anything. It’s just a Southern thing. It’s transparent. It’s just a heritage thing.” Longtime racing fan Faron Elam, meanwhile, wasn’t thrilled by the fan restrictions and more minimal atmosphere. “This ain’t racing,” said Elam, a 50-year-old from Cottondale, Alabama. “This is nothing like it used to be. You used to come up here and have fun, go to all the souvenir trucks, everything. “You’ve got two out front now. That’s all you’ve got and if you don’t like who’s in it, then you don’t get anything.” Then again, it was to provide the key element for the fan of everything from dirt track to drag racing. “Just anything with speed,” Elam said......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2020

Master to The Apprentice? Team Lakay s Mark Sangiao talks about The Apprentice: ONE Championship edition

Known as the man behind Team Lakay, the Philippines’ top mixed martial arts stable, head coach Mark “The Machine” Sangiao is widely regarded in the MMA world as a master. A former Wushu standout and mixed martial artist himself, Sangiao has coached a number of the Philippines’ best fighters into world champions, including the likes of reigning ONE Strawweight World Champion Joshua Pacio, current BRAVE CF Bantamweight Champion Stephen Loman, and former titleholders like Eduard Folayang, Kevin Belingon, Geje Eustaqiuo, and Honorio Banario. But what if the master was given an opportunity to become and apprentice? ONE Championship recently announced that they would be producing The Apprentice: ONE Championship Edition, hosted by none other than the Singapore-based promotion’s Chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong. The Apprentice: ONE Championship Edition will feature 16 contestants competing against each other for a US $250,000 dollar job opportunity to work for Chatri at the ONE Global Headquarters and become his business protege. Apart from being just a world champion coach, Sangiao is also a business man as the CEO of Team Lakay, and he believes that an opportunity to work and learn from a man like Chatri is nothing short of invaluable. “More than a hundred percent I would say yes if given the chance,” Sangiao said via ONE Championship. “I would do anything that would be good for me, my family, my athletes, Team Lakay, and future warriors. An opportunity like that would be hard to say no to.” Like Chatri, Sangiao knows what it’s like to have nothing. Before he was one of the most respected coaches in the game, Sangiao had to make ends meet by pursuing a career as a fighter. Often times, he needed a helping hand. “Early in my martial arts career, I would borrow money countless times just so I could travel from Baguio to Manila every time I had a fight. Life was hard. I started from zero. I had nothing,” Sangiao revealed. “When I was teaching martial arts, I used to jog six kilometers everyday both ways from La Trinidad to Baguio City since I had no money to pay for my jeepney fare. Some students would help me by giving me five pesos so I didn’t have to travel on foot,” he added. “I taught for passion, for almost no pay.” Eventually, that passion brought Sangiao and other aspiring martial artists together, which became the birth of what we know now as Team Lakay. Like the founder and the other members, Team Lakay’s beginnings were humble. “When I first started Team Lakay, we had just one pair of gloves which we all shared. All of our training and equipment, everything was improvised. We trained outdoors and made use of the beautiful nature in Baguio City to train. It was free,” Sangiao recalled. And while it was a small start, Sangiao’s goals and ambitions for the team were far from small. “People call me a strategist, because I don’t just rush into things. I like to create a plan,” said Sangiao. “Not just as a coach, but in my entire approach to life in general. I like to think deep about things and I always have a long-term future goal. I set a goal, and no matter how hard or impossible it may look, I do everything in my power to make it happen.” Eventually, Team Lakay grew into the powerhouse gym that it is today, and eventually, the humble little gym grew into a complete training facility, one that some of the best fighters in the world truly deserve. “Four years ago, it seemed impossible to happen, but I worked hard for it. I envisioned it, and when the opportunity came about, we took it. I didn’t even think about the kind of money we needed to spend to put it up, for all the new machines we had to buy, for the rent we had to pay. I just took the chance, and here we are. We’re doing okay,” Sangiao exclaimed. While Sangiao may be the driving force, he understands that none of this would be possible without a plan, a goal, and a collection of people with the same drive and determination. “It takes a goal, a firm and strong mind to reach that goal, an opportunity, and the heart to succeed. You just have to have patience and wait for the right time. More importantly, you need the right people working with you. You have to surround yourself with like-minded people. With that, there is no impossible dream,” said Sangiao. As it stands, Sangiao is already a self-made man. Being the head of the country’s premier gym is no small feat after all, but he does understand the value of an opportunity to work with a businessman and an entrepreneur the caliber of Chatri. An opportunity like that could help take Team Lakay, as a business, to even greater heights. Sangiao believes that the perfect candidate for The Apprentice: ONE Championship Edition is someone fearless and strong-willed, much like himself. “The perfect candidate has to have that strong determination to make goals materialize. He or she needs to know how to take risks, but calculated risks with smart filtering decisions, and to be prepared for whatever results may come.” “You can’t be afraid to take chances when opportunities present themselves, even if you’re not a hundred percent sure you will succeed. Opportunity is opportunity, and you have to be brave enough to grab it, and invest in it,” he continued. Like Chatri, Sangiao is proof that even the smallest of dreams, if properly planned and pursued, can become something big when the time is right. “If money is an issue, you have many other advantages to lean back on. You have your time, your effort, and your mind. Bank on your abilities, and things will fall into place,” he concluded. The Apprentice: ONE Championship Edition is set for a late-2020 premier. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsApr 1st, 2020

BSP data: Strong dollar remittances in Sept keep PH economy from sinking

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines’ estimated 10 million citizens abroad once more stepped in to buoy the local economy in the middle of a crisis, driving a late third quarter surge in dollar remittance that helped ward off a worst case scenario earlier feared by the central bank. In a statement, the Bangko Sentral ng […] The post BSP data: Strong dollar remittances in Sept keep PH economy from sinking appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 16th, 2020

Donnalyn Bartolome launches typhoon relief efforts

Filipina celebrity vlogger Donnalyn Bartolome is on a roll in driving relief efforts for victims of typhoon “Ulysses” (Goni) by providing rescue boats and dedicating all proceeds from her recently uploaded YouTube vlog. Heavily flooded areas of Rizal and Marikina were the beneficiaries of Donnalyn’s generous deed. Since the onslaught began, the 26-year old YouTuber […] The post Donnalyn Bartolome launches typhoon relief efforts appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsNov 14th, 2020

Protesting too much

Raising her voice and jabbing her finger into the air several times for emphasis, Senator Pia Cayetano on Tuesday bristled at a call from her colleague, Senator Risa Hontiveros, for a legislative probe into alleged irregularities in the funding of sports facilities used in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 12th, 2020

Go backs call to probe sports complex deal

Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go said the truth on the allegation on the construction of sports facilities in the New Clark City by the Bases Conversion and Development Authority should come out......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 11th, 2020

Curfew violator argues with tanod

A 21-year-old call center agent in Barangay Payatas, Quezon City was arrested on Friday morning for violating the curfew. However, Jhan Elmer Tejada, 21, the suspect, instead of submitting to barangay officials who accosted him, had a heated exchange with them and resisted arrest. Tejada was walking along Mangga Street at 2 a.m. on 30 […] The post Curfew violator argues with tanod appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 30th, 2020

Taguig accident prompts distracted driving reminder

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority on Wednesday reminded motorists that they can be penalized and be fined several times within the day if they are caught using cellular phones or any mobile devices while driving......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 7th, 2020

LANDBANK extends P737M in loans for purchase of modern jeepneys

The Land Bank of the Philippines (LANDBANK) continues to support the government program to put in new and safer public utility jeepneys (PUJs) on the street.    As of August 31, 2020, LANDBANK has approved a total of P737.21 million in loans to 16 borrowers nationwide for the purchase of 407 modern jeepneys under the SPEED […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 3rd, 2020

Asian stocks rise but tempered by virus, election fears

Stocks rose Monday, tracking a healthy lead from Wall Street as bargain-buyers moved in following a recent sell-off, though advances were limited by worries about fresh virus spikes and the reimposition of economically damaging containment measures......»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 28th, 2020

LandBank extends P737M in loans for purchase of modern jeepneys

CALOOCAN CITY, Sept. 26 (PIA) -- The Land Bank of the Philippines (LandBank) continues to support the government program to put in new and safer public utility jeepneys (PUJs) on the street......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsSep 27th, 2020

Groups urge UN council to probe human rights situation in Philippines

In a statement, activists, lawyers, religious leaders and human rights workers renewed the call for the UH Human Rights Council to “exercise its mandate and urgently create an independent and impartial investigative mechanism on the rampant extrajudicial killings and human rights violations” in the Philippines......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 14th, 2020

Hand grenade found in vacant lot

A hand grenade was found wrapped in plastic and masking tape in a vacant lot in Malate, Manila on Friday afternoon. Police Station 9 of the Manila Police District said it received a telephone call regarding the grenade found at 2252 Leveriza Street in Barangay 715, Zone 78. The caller, who identified himself as Barangay […] The post Hand grenade found in vacant lot appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 12th, 2020

Kidapawan bishop support’s BARMM’s call for probe on killing of Kabacan 9

COTABATO CITY (MindaNews / 31 August) — Kidapawan Bishop Jose Colin Bagaforo is supporting the call of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) for an impartial probe into the August 29 killing of nine Moro farmers  in Barangay Aringay, Kabacan, not far from the state-run University of Southern Mindanao. “Both the Diocese of […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsSep 3rd, 2020

Asian stocks track Wall St records on vaccine, recovery hopes

Equities rallied in Asia on Thursday following another blow-out session on Wall Street as investors bet that the global economy is on the right track, fuelled by new vaccine hopes and central bank largesse......»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 3rd, 2020

A Call for An Independent Probe Commission by concerned Tausug Civil Society Organizations

28 August  2020 GOVERNOR ABDUSAKUR M. TAN Sulu Provincial Government Capitol Site, Patikul, Sulu Dear Gov. Sakur: Assalamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa baarakatuhu! We respectfully submit to your propitious attention the herein petition. A CALL FOR AN INDEPENDENT PROBE COMMISSION RE: TWIN BLASTS IN ORDER TO UPROOT THE CORE OF THOSE WHO PERPETUATE DASTARDLY AND […].....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 31st, 2020

Zara’s burial sparks call for probe into state accountability in activists’ murders

As slain human rights worker Zara Alvarez was buried in her home town in Cadiz to an emotional mass, calls are raised for an independent probe to see if State forces are complicit in her murder......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsAug 27th, 2020

UN experts call for independent probe on killings of rights defenders

“We are saddened and appalled by the ongoing violence and threats against human rights defenders in the Philippines, including the killing of two human rights defenders over the past two weeks.” -- UN spokesperson The post UN experts call for independent probe on killings of rights defenders appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2020

What happened to the probe?

Sometime last June, videos of mishandling of packages being handled by J&T Express went viral on social media. The videos showed personnel of the courier carelessly throwing parcels as they load them into a van, not minding if they get broken or damaged. One video even showed a J&T Express van moving along a busy street with a parcel left on top of the truck......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 17th, 2020

Motorists urged: Ease up on accelerator, avoid accidents

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Be more careful when you are driving and avoid driving at high speeds or speeding.  Police Corporal John Philip Muñoz of the Mandaue City Traffic Police gave these reminders to motorists after a road accident along P. Sanchez Street, Barangay Pagsabungan, Mandaue City at 6:40 p.m. on Saturday, August 15, 2020, […] The post Motorists urged: Ease up on accelerator, avoid accidents appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 16th, 2020