Advertisements


PGH logs five COVID deaths daily, hospital& rsquo;s capacity full

About five COVID-19 patients have died each day at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) for the last three weeks, its spokesman Dr. Jonas del Rosario said Wednesday......»»

Category: sportsSource: abscbn abscbnApr 22nd, 2021

David: Gov’t efforts vs COVID-19 ‘working’ but MM not yet ready for MGCQ

The University of the Philippines (UP) OCTA Research said government’s effort in fighting the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is proving to be effective that has resulted in the decline in new infections. Commuters inside an e-trike wears face shield as DOTr requires the use of face shield when riding public transport (JANSEN ROMERO / MANILA BULLETIN) But the UP experts are not recommending that Metro Manila be placed under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) after the lapse of GCQ on August 31. Despite reverting to a more relaxed lockdown, Dr. Guido David in an interview over DzBB Saturday said that the flattening of the curve is still achievable. “Sa ngayon, hindi pa naman namin nakikitang tumataas [ang cases], kaya optimistic naman kami na itong GCQ (general community quarantine) baka iba na sya sa GCQ dati kasi mas maingat na tayo ngayon (So far, we haven’t seen the cases rise that is why we are optimistic that this GCQ is different from the previous one because the people now are more careful,” David said. He cited the mandatory wearing of face shield in malls, offices, and public transportation as an effective measure to curb the spread of the virus. David also lauded the country’s “improving” contact tracing, isolation of probable cases, and increased testing capacity. “Yung contact tracing natin pinapaganda na natin, yung isolation and treatment, may lapses tayo dati dyan sa implementation, ngayon mukhang naayos na natin yan. Yung testing, nag-increase pa. Yung local government, baka mas proactive na sila ngayon sa pag manage ng localized lockdowns (Our contact tracing has improved. We seem to have fixed our lapses in implementing isolation and treatment. The testing has increased too. Our local government units are more proactive now in managing localized lockdowns),” he added. “Sa Cebu nung nag-GCQ na ulit sila, hindi naman tumaas ang bilang ng kaso. Parang natuto na sila at siguro nasanay na dun sa new normal, kaya patuloy pa ring pagbaba yung kaso. Yung Cebu, as an example, 300 cases sila per day nung nag-ECQ sila, tapos bumaba na. Ngayon nakaka-80 cases na lang sila per day. So yun yung inaasahan natin sa Metro Manila (In Cebu, when they were placed under GCQ again, their daily cases did not increase. Perhaps they already learned their lesson and have gotten used to the new normal so their cases continue to decrease. Cebu used to have 300 cases per day when they were placed under ECQ. Now they only have 80 cases daily. And that’s what we’re expecting in Metro Manila),” David said. Earlier, the research group said that flattening of the COVID-19 curve is “possible” by end of August to September because the virus reproductive rate is going down from 1.5 to 1.1. However, David noted that UP OCTA team still would not recommend Metro Manila to shift to moderate general community quarantine (MGCQ). “Hindi natin mare-recommend yan kasi puno pa rin yung mga hospital natin para makapag-MGCQ tayo. Obserbahan muna natin (We’re not recommending MGCQ because our hospitals are still full. We should observe first),” he said. “Buti nang ma-retain tayo ng GCQ tapos hintayin natin na bumaba pa yung bilang ng kaso, kahit mapababa natin ng 2,000-1,000 cases per day, tsaka tayo mag-open ng iba pang economic sectors (It would be better for us to retain the GCQ status and wait for the number of new cases to decrease, let’s say 2,000-1,000 cases per day, then we can open other economic sectors),” David added......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 29th, 2020

& lsquo;ICUs in MM hospitals near full capacity& rsquo;

Intensive Care Units in Metro Manila hospitals are almost full due to the increasing number of COVID-19 cases, which have breached the 7,000 mark amid the 40 recoveries and 15 deaths in the Philippines, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said Friday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsApr 25th, 2020

IATF urges Covid positive residents to contact LGU

This call is not just for the Novo Ecijanos who are positive for Covid-19, but also for their relatives who are in areas where most of hospitals and quarantine facilities are already operating at full capacity The post IATF urges Covid positive residents to contact LGU appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsApr 7th, 2021

Lung Center reaches full capacity; cases near 800,000

As COVID-19 cases in the country push to 800,000, another government hospital the Lung Center of the Philippines declared it has reached full capacity for patients of this pandemic......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 4th, 2021

Marikina facilities reach full capacity

All two quarantine facilities in Marikina City have reached full capacity due to a surge in the number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases, according to Mayor Marcelino “Marcy” Teodoro. “Our quarantine facilities have reached full capacity, I think, two days ago,” Teodoro told the Daily Tribune. The Marikina mayor said the quarantine facility at […] The post Marikina facilities reach full capacity appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsMar 19th, 2021

PH logs all-time high 7,103 new COVID-19 infections; active cases at 73,264

MANILA, Philippines — The country hit on Friday its unprecedented single-day record of new COVID-19 infections with 7,103, driving nationwide active cases to 73,264. In its latest bulletin, the Department of Health (DOH) said the total number of confirmed cases in the country now stands at 648,066, including 390 recently-recovered patients and 13 new deaths. […] The post PH logs all-time high 7,103 new COVID-19 infections; active cases at 73,264 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 19th, 2021

Lipa City hospital at full capacity for COVID-19 patients

Outpatient and emergency rooms, meanwhile, will remain open for initial management of COVID and non-COVID patients......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 17th, 2021

Gov’t says no lockdown even as hospitals start hitting full capacity

MANILA, Philippines — Hospitals in Metro Manila and the Cordillera Administrative Region are running out of beds for critically ill COVID-19 patients as coronavirus cases surge to post the highest daily count this year. In Metro Manila, according to data as of the weekend from the Department of Health (DOH), seven out of 10 of […] The post Gov’t says no lockdown even as hospitals start hitting full capacity appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 16th, 2021

Binay: Makati’s hospital beds full

Hospital beds for COVID-19 patients in Makati are at full capacity due to the rising number of infections in the city, Mayor Abby Binay reported yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 15th, 2021

QCGH reaches full COVID capacity

The government-run Quezon City General Hospital on Saturday reported it had reached its COVID-19 capacity as from March 9 but said it would still admit walk-in non-COVID patients with a set of protocols......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMar 13th, 2021

Cebu COVID-19 cases rising; hospitals near full capacity

Experts warned yesterday that the hospital bed capacity in Cebu City could reach the critical level of 70 percent in two weeks as the number of coronavirus diseases 2019 or COVID-19 cases continues to rise......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 10th, 2021

Coffin stored in break room as Los Angeles funeral home overwhelmed

A corpse in the break room. Embalmed bodies in the garage.  During AFP’s visit, a casket topped with a small wreath of flowers occupied the funeral home employee break room beyond the front desk Boyd Funeral Home, a small family business in Los Angeles, is so overflowing with Covid-19 victims it has begun turning away customers for the first time in its history. “The weekend before I turned down 16 families that I couldn’t do services for,” said owner Candy Boyd.  “It’s sad. But that’s pretty much how it is now.” In the past two weeks, as coronavirus has slammed Los Angeles, some 80 percent of the deceased passing through her doors died from Covid. One-in-10 residents of the nation’s second largest city has been infected since the pandemic began, with nearly 300 people dying daily last week as the virus surges. At Boyd’s reception desk, the phones keep ringing, mostly going unanswered as her overwhelmed staff have abandoned setting appointments and now tell customers to just show up and get in line. She is even receiving calls from desperate families in other counties more than an hour’s drive away.  Many hospital morgues are also full, with local coroners using refrigerated trucks to accommodate the victim load and some cemeteries warning of two week waiting lists. “Things are getting more and more out of control,” said Boyd. During AFP’s visit this week, a casket topped with a small wreath of flowers occupied the employee break room beyond the front desk. It had been there for a week. “This room is our lunch area, however, we are having to use this room for space for caskets,” said the owner. “We’ve done the services but the cemetery is so backed up… we have to hold them here until they have time to do the burial.” – Bodies in the garage – Like much of surrounding South Los Angeles, the Westmont neighborhood is mainly inhabited by Black and Latino working class communities living in densely populated homes. These demographics have been hit particularly hard by Covid, with mortality rates two or three times higher than nearby affluent communities. Boyd’s funeral home cold storage room has been consistently full. Two weeks ago, Boyd brought in craftsmen to erect two large wooden structures in the company’s garage to store embalmed bodies. “He hasn’t even gotten a chance to really finish because we needed (to store) these,” she said, pointing to corpses wrapped in body bags lying on the rough shelves. “I would never imagined having to build that in my wildest dreams.” Some funeral homes have reported a shortage of coffins due to lack of wood, though Boyd’s supplier has kept up with orders so long as they are placed early enough. – ‘Nightmares’ – Worried about her five staff catching the virus at the start of the pandemic, Boyd initially refused to accept Covid victims. “I was having nightmares. I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep,” she recalled.  Boyd has since created safety protocols and now feels comfortable dealing with the influx, although she insists it is “not about the money.” “It’s about helping families and helping them get through this crisis,” she said. “It takes a toll on me every day, I’m dealing with this,” Boyd added. “And I have to keep a stolid face because I have to be there for the family.”  Sometimes, customers are people she has long known personally. Other times, Boyd encounters families who still refuse to wear masks or respect physical distance, even as they make arrangements to bury their loved ones.  “The numbers don’t lie. It’s true. It’s real,” said Boyd of the disease. Cases in California have more than doubled since early December to 2.8 million. “If you don’t take it serious,” she warned an AFP journalist, “you could be one of the people that are in my back row back there, you know!”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsJan 17th, 2021

Temporary morgues set up as UK hospitals run out of space

LEATHERHEAD, England — British authorities have had to set up temporary morgues in some areas after local hospital mortuaries ran out of space due to a surge in deaths caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Britain has reported record levels of deaths and new infections in the last few weeks, fuelled by a new variant of […] The post Temporary morgues set up as UK hospitals run out of space appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 13th, 2021

US logs more than 3,900 Covid deaths in new 24hr record: Johns Hopkins

Washington, United States—The United States broke its own record for the number of daily deaths from Covid-19 yet again Tuesday, January 5, 2021, recording 3,936 fatalities in 24 hours, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins university. The worst-hit country in the world by the pandemic also recorded 250,173 new cases in the period […] The post US logs more than 3,900 Covid deaths in new 24hr record: Johns Hopkins appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 6th, 2021

US logs more than 3,900 Covid deaths in new 24hr record: Johns Hopkins

The United States broke its own record for the number of daily deaths from Covid-19 yet again Tuesday, recording 3,936 fatalities in 24 hours, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins university......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 6th, 2021

Globe donates employee Christmas Party funds to COVID-19, disaster beneficiaries

Prior to the pandemic, Filipinos would already be flocking to local malls and tiangges for the perfect Christmas decors, presents, and Secret Santa gifts. Kitchens are abuzz with potluck preparations, while restaurants and function halls are fully-booked for Christmas parties. Loved ones abroad start to fly home and airports are at full capacity. All over […] The post Globe donates employee Christmas Party funds to COVID-19, disaster beneficiaries appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 16th, 2020

Philippines logs 4,935 new COVID-19 cases, with 186 new deaths

MANILA, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Philippines surged to 257,863 after the Department of Health (DOH) reported 4,935 new daily cases on Saturday. The.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsSep 13th, 2020

Mandaue logs 10 more COVID-related deaths, 3 new infections, and 3 recoveries

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu— The city of Mandaue reported 10 additional deaths among its coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases on Wednesday, September 2, 2020, hiking the count of COVID-19 related deaths here to 102. The newly reported deaths, however, are not “new” as the individuals passed away as far back as June 27. The latest among the […] The post Mandaue logs 10 more COVID-related deaths, 3 new infections, and 3 recoveries appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 3rd, 2020

Manila hospital reaches full capacity

The Justice Jose Abad Santos General Hospital in Manila has stopped admitting non-COVID-19 patients after reaching full capacity......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 11th, 2020

‘Let’s all do our part, stay home’, Mayor Vico Sotto urges public

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto has called on the public to observe health and safety measures as the number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in the country continue to rise. (JANSEN ROMERO / MANILA BULLETIN) “Punong-puno ang mga ospital sa rehiyon, public and private. (Hospitals in the region are at full capacity, both public and private.) Let’s all do our part,” Sotto wrote on his social media pages. “Bukod sa trabaho at pagbili ng essential goods, sa bahay na lang muna tayo (Aside from work and buying essential goods, I urge you to just stay home,” he stressed. The mayor also reminded the public to observe social distancing, wear face masks, and follow health safety standards. Last month, the Medical City in Pasig and the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City and Taguig announced that they have reached full capacity for COVID-19 patients. The Victor R. Potenciano (VRP) Medical Center in Mandaluyong City also urged suspected and confirmed patients to seek medical assistance from other health facilities. On Sunday, the Pasig City government announced that City Hall will be run by a skeleton force for two weeks starting Monday (Aug. 3). Sotto said the offices of the health, peace and order, and other frontline sections will remain open and fully operational. “Pasig City Hall will return to a skeletal workforce for two weeks starting tomorrow Aug. 3, 2020 until Aug. 16, 2020,” he said. Pasig City has 1,826 COVID-19 confirmed cases with 783 recoveries, 119 deaths, and 924 active cases as of Aug. 1, the local government reported......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020