Advertisements


South Cotabato gets high-risk tag for COVID-19

KORONADAL CITY (MindaNews / 4 September)— South Cotabato province is now considered as a “high-risk” area for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Soccsksargen or Region 12, but officials assured the public that the “situation is still under control.” In an emergency press conference on Friday, Dr. Rogelio Aturdido Jr., South Cotabato health chief, stressed the province […].....»»

Category: newsSource: mindanews mindanewsSep 4th, 2020

Italy ‘second wave’ fears grow as virus cases top 5,000

Italy was grappling Friday with fears of a second coronavirus wave similar to the ones seen in Britain, France and Spain, as it registered over 5,000 new infections in 24 hours. “We’re under extreme pressure,” the World Health Organization’s Italian government adviser Walter Ricciardi said, warning that spaces in Covid-19 hospitals were running out in the worst-hit regions. Italy registered 5,372 new cases Friday, the health ministry said, nearly 1,000 more than on Thursday. The country has not seen such high numbers of recorded new infections since mid-April. New infections are still well behind Britain, France and Spain, which are registering between 12,000 and 19,000 cases in 24 hours. But Ricciardi said the rise in cases could reach those levels in Italy just as winter begins and common influenza strikes. “When the flu comes, we risk having 16 thousand cases in a day,” he said in an interview with broadcaster Sky TG24. “I am very worried… (about) sub-intensive units because there are infectious patients who need to be treated in a certain way and beds are already running out. And that’s before the flu hits,” he said. The government moved to tackle the sharp rise in case numbers earlier this week, making wearing face masks compulsory in outdoor spaces across the country, on top of all indoor spaces apart from homes. – ‘Dramatic decisions’ – Lazio, the region which houses capital Rome, has been performing particularly badly, along with Campania in the south and Lombardy in the north, where the pandemic broke out in Italy back in February. According to official figures, more than 36,000 people have died of the virus in Italy, where a nationwide lockdown — the first in any European country — lasted over two months. Drained by years of budget cuts, southern Italy’s overstretched health care system escaped the brunt of the virus after movement between regions was banned, preventing cases from travelling down the country. But there are fears it would not escape a second wave. The Italian Association of Hospital Anaesthesiologists said Friday that hospitals in the south, where infrastructure is weaker, were not ready for an escalating crisis, despite efforts made to boost beds and staff numbers. Campania’s regional president Vincenzo De Luca said on Facebook he thought “we’ve reached the point where dramatic decisions need to be taken”. He said he could not rule out a new lockdown of the region. Regional Affairs Minister Francesco Boccia said Friday that if the upward trend continued, movement of people between regions may be temporarily banned. “A rise in the number of contagions was predictable. Intensive care units have been reinforced,” he said. “However, I cannot rule out limits on movements. Nothing can be ruled out at the moment,” he told Radio Capitale......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

WHO warns of drawn out pandemic as South Africa cases top 500,000

The UN health agency warned that the coronavirus pandemic would be lengthy and could lead to “response fatigue”, as the case count in South Africa topped half a million. Although many Latin American countries have begun relaxing stay-at-home measures, the virus is still spreading quickly across much of the region Six months after the World Health Organization declared a global emergency, the novel coronavirus has killed more than 680,000 people and infected more than 17.5 million, according to an AFP tally. South Africa is by far the hardest hit country in Africa, accounting for more than half of diagnosed infections, although President Cyril Ramaphosa said the fatality rate is lower than the global average. Health authorities had been expecting a surge in cases after the gradual loosening of a strict lockdown that was imposed at the end of March. Nigeria on Saturday also announced it would ease a lockdown in the commercial capital Lagos, allowing churches and mosques to reopen next week.  An emergency WHO committee reviewing the pandemic “highlighted the anticipated lengthy duration of this COVID-19 outbreak, noting the importance of sustained community, national, regional, and global response efforts”. “WHO continues to assess the global risk level of COVID-19 to be very high,” it said in its latest statement. The agency also said the effects of the pandemic “will be felt for decades to come”. Mexico overtook Britain to become the third hardest hit country in virus deaths — after Brazil and the United States — with more than 46,600 fatal cases. Although many Latin American countries have begun relaxing stay-at-home measures, the virus is still spreading quickly across much of the region, which has now recorded more than four million cases and almost 200,000 deaths. Half of them are in Brazil, where President Jair Bolsonaro said he believes “nearly everyone” will catch the virus eventually, after himself recovering from it. The US, the hardest-hit country in the world, has now tallied more than 4.6 million cases and 154,319 deaths. Vaccine race The outlook was bleak in Asia as well, where India and the Philippines reported record increases in new daily infections. “We are waging a losing battle against COVID-19, and we need to draw up a consolidated, definitive plan of action,” said an open letter signed by 80 Filipino medical associations. Japan’s Okinawa declared a state of emergency after a record jump in cases on the islands — many linked to US military forces stationed there. The pandemic has spurred a race for a vaccine with several Chinese companies at the forefront, while Russia has set a target date of September to roll out its own medicine. However, US infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said it was unlikely his country would use any vaccine developed in either nation. “I do hope that the Chinese and the Russians are actually testing the vaccine before they are administering the vaccine to anyone,” he said. As part of its “Operation Warp Speed”, the US government will pay pharmaceutical giants Sanofi and GSK up to $2.1 billion for the development of a COVID-19 vaccine, the companies said. ‘Day of freedom’ France, Spain, Portugal and Italy all reported huge contractions in their economies for the April-June quarter, while Europe as a whole saw gross domestic product fall by 12.1 percent.  Daily case numbers in Switzerland have crept up again in recent weeks, while Norway recorded its first virus death in two weeks. At least 36 crew members confined to a Norwegian cruise ship have tested positive for the new coronavirus, the operator Hurtigruten said on Saturday.  Despite the resurgence in cases, there have been demonstrations in Europe against the curbs.  Thousands protested in Berlin on Saturday urging “a day of freedom” from the restrictions, with some demonstrators dubbing the pandemic “the biggest conspiracy theory”. In South Korea, the elderly leader of a secretive sect at the centre of the country’s early coronavirus outbreak was arrested for allegedly hindering the government’s effort to contain the epidemic. People linked to Lee Man-hee’s Shincheonji Church of Jesus accounted for more than half of the South’s coronavirus cases in February and March, but the country has since appeared to have brought the virus under control. The pandemic has also continued to cause mayhem in the travel and tourism sectors, with more airlines announcing mass job cuts. Latin America’s biggest airline, the Brazilian-Chilean group LATAM, said it would lay off least 2,700 crew, and British Airways pilots overwhelmingly voted to accept a deal cutting wages by 20 percent, with 270 jobs lost......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

AFF Suzuki Cup 2020 postponed to 2021

30 July 2020 – The ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) today announced that the AFF Suzuki Cup 2020 will be postponed until 2021 in view of the rapidly deteriorating coronavirus situation, regionally and globally. For AFF, the health and safety of the players, coaches, partners, fans and the public are of the highest priority, and the decision to postpone the tournament to 2021 will safeguard the well-being of everyone involved in the AFF Suzuki Cup 2020. The AFF Suzuki Cup Task Force Committee held extensive discussions before reaching this decision. “Since the onset of COVID-19, the AFF has been closely monitoring guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO), Health Ministries, government agencies, FIFA and AFC,” said AFF President, Major General Khiev Sameth.  “As you are aware, this pandemic continues to pose enormous health, societal and economic challenges to us all. AFF's top priority continues to be the health and safety of our football family and mitigating the impact of this pandemic. With the risk of the spread of COVID-19 remaining high, the AFF finds itself in a situation where we cannot proceed safely with the AFF Suzuki Cup 2020.” “While these are unprecedented times for the whole world including our football family and communities, we are confident that we will get through it together with the support of all our stakeholders including our fans, Member Associations, players, coaches, official, media and partners and we would like to thank them for standing united with us in the fight against COVID-19,” Major General Sameth said. Adrian Staiti, President APAC at SPORTFIVE, the exclusive commercial partner of the AFF Suzuki Cup, said, “SPORTFIVE supports the decision by the AFF to postpone the AFF Suzuki Cup 2020 to ensure the safety and well-being of all players, partners, staff and fans. While we are disappointed that we are unable to hold the tournament this year, we will work closely with the AFF to monitor the situation and look forward to working with our partners to deliver a great tournament for the fans of ASEAN next year.” The AFF Suzuki Cup is the largest and most prestigious football tournament in South East Asia and was set to see the national ‘A’ teams of the region competing for the Championship title, played on a home and away format. Drawing a fan attendance of more than 750,000 for the 2018 edition, the risks and challenges in organising a mass event of this scale would be considerable in the current climate. The AFF will continue to work closely with the various member associations and partners to monitor the situation and will provide further updates on the 2021 tournament dates and other details as soon as available......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 30th, 2020

Vax lowers Covid-19 healthcare utilization rate in Cordillera

BAGUIO CITY - The Department of Health (DOH)-Cordillera reported that the health system capacity of the region remains low risk due to its high vaccination rate of over 1.2 mil.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJul 19th, 2022

& lsquo;Hospitals near full capacity& rsquo;

All areas in Metro Manila are now classified as either high-risk or critical risk for COVID-19, the Department of Health said Friday as the disease continued to spread and hospital beds filled up, and the country hit a four-month high in both the number of new infections and active cases......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 14th, 2021

DOH deems PH a & lsquo;high risk& rsquo;

The Philippines is now considered "high-risk" for the spread of COVID-19, the Department of Health (DOH) warned Monday......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 9th, 2021

PH now high risk for COVID-19 cases

PH now high risk for COVID-19 cases.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsAug 9th, 2021

South Cotabato mayor vows to fire LGU workers who refuse COVID-19 jabs

UPDATED KORONADAL CITY (MindaNews / 5 August) – A town mayor in South Cotabato has vowed to dismiss local government employees who will refuse to get vaccinated against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) even as the Department of Health (DOH) announced on the same day that the “No vaccine, no work” policy is not allowed. Mayor […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsAug 6th, 2021

South Cotabato tightens border control amid COVID-19 Delta variant threat

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (MindaNews / 02 August) – The provincial government of South Cotabato has intensified control measures in its borders in the wake of the threats posed by the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Delta variant. South Cotabato Gov. Reynaldo Tamayo, Jr. directed the move on Monday through Executive Order (EO) No. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsAug 6th, 2021

South Cotabato intensifies border control

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — South Cotabato Gov. Reynaldo Tamayo Jr. announced that the provincial government has intensified its control measures in its borders in the wake of the threats posed by the dreaded coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) Delta variant. Tamayo issued Executive Order (EO) 30, which extended the implementation of general community quarantine in the […] The post South Cotabato intensifies border control appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2021

Not another total lockdown

There is something disconcerting about all this talk about the Delta variant and COVID-19 “high risk” areas as if we are unfamiliar or even unprepared for the spikes and ups and downs of this deadly virus. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2021

OCTA: Makati, Taguig ‘high risk’ for COVID-19

The OCTA Research group has placed the cities of Makati and Taguig under “high risk” classification due to rising number of COVID-19 cases......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 21st, 2021

Cordillera, 2 other regions high risk for COVID-19

Cordillera, 2 other regions high risk for COVID-19.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsJul 13th, 2021

High risk: Kids under two

COVID-19 deaths are high among children under 2 years old, the Department of Health (DOH) said Monday, urging parents and guardians to make sure their kids follow health protocols......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 13th, 2021

OCTA: 6 areas outside NCR high-risk for COVID-19

OCTA: 6 areas outside NCR high-risk for COVID-19.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsJul 6th, 2021

Banks at risk from sluggish credit, bad loans – S& P

Philippine banks are facing sluggish revival in credit growth, rising non-performing loans, a marginal decline in credit costs, and mild recovery in earnings this year due to subdued economic activity and high COVID-19 infection rates, according to S&P Global Ratings......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2021

Low vax supply hounds rollout

The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday identified Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, the Davao region, and Soccskargen as high-risk areas for COVID-19 due to their high average daily attack rates (ADAR) and hospital bed occupancy......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 30th, 2021

DOH tags 4 regions as high risk for COVID-19

DOH tags 4 regions as high risk for COVID-19.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2021

Preso na may COVID sintomas umeskapo

Nakahanap ng butas ang isang preso sa South Cotabato Rehabilitation and Detention Center (SCRDC) matapos siyang dalhin sa ospital dahil sa sintomas ng COVID-19. The post Preso na may COVID sintomas umeskapo first appeared on Abante......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2021

Inmate with COVID-19 captured after escaping from South Cotabato quarantine facility

Policemen have captured the male inmate from the South Cotabato provincial jail who escaped on Sunday from a COVID-19 quarantine facility here......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2021