Advertisements


South Korea demands North Korea further probe killing of official

Seoul said Saturday it will demand further investigation by Pyongyang into the killing of a South Korean official after a rare public apology from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarSep 26th, 2020

North Korea to defy coronavirus with huge parade

Nuclear-armed North Korea is expected to parade its latest and most advanced weapons through the streets of Pyongyang on Saturday, as the coronavirus-barricaded country celebrates the 75th anniversary of leader Kim Jong Un’s ruling party. Saturday is expected to see thousands of goose-stepping soldiers packed into Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square, named for North Korea’s founder, under the gaze of his grandson Kim Jong Un ED JONES AFP/ MANILA BULLETIN South Korea’s unification minister told parliament on Thursday that a “large-scale parade” was anticipated, and satellite imagery on the respected 38North website has also suggested the cavalcade could be huge. The anniversary comes during a difficult year for North Korea as the coronavirus pandemic and recent storms add pressure to the heavily sanctioned country.  Pyongyang closed its borders eight months ago to try to protect itself from the virus — which first emerged in neighbouring China — and has still to confirm a single case of infection. Last month, troops from the North shot dead a South Korean fisheries official who had drifted into its waters, apparently as a precaution against the disease, prompting fury in Seoul and a rare apology from Kim. Nevertheless, Saturday is expected to see thousands of goose-stepping soldiers packed into Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square, named for North Korea’s founder, under the gaze of his grandson, the third member of the family to rule the country. A procession of progressively larger armoured vehicles and tanks is likely to follow, culminating with whatever missiles Pyongyang wants to put on show. The North is widely believed to have continued to develop its arsenal — which it says it needs to protect itself from a US invasion — throughout nuclear negotiations with Washington, deadlocked since the collapse of a summit in Hanoi in February last year. Now analysts expect a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) or an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the US mainland to appear — maybe even one with multiple re-entry vehicle capabilities that could allow it to evade US defence systems. The anniversary of the Workers’ Party means North Korea “has a political and strategic need to do something bigger”, said Sung-yoon Lee, a Korean studies professor at Tufts University in the United States. Showcasing its most advanced weapons “will signal a big step forward in Pyongyang’s credible threat capabilities”, he said. But unlike on many previous occasions, no international media have been allowed in to watch the parade, and with many foreign embassies in Pyongyang closing their doors in the face of coronavirus restrictions, few outside observers will be present. It is not clear whether state broadcaster KCTV will air the event live — some past parades have not appeared on television until the following day. But the South’s government has detected signs that Kim is to give a speech at the parade, Yonhap News Agency reported Friday citing unnamed sources.  – Masks and missiles? –  At the end of December, Kim threatened to demonstrate a “new strategic weapon”, but analysts say Pyongyang will still tread carefully to avoid jeopardising its chances with Washington ahead of next month’s presidential elections. Showing off its strategic weapons in a military parade “would be consistent with what Kim Jong Un promised”, while “not provoking the US as much as a test-launch of a strategic weapon”, said former US government North Korea analyst Rachel Lee. The messaging of the parade “will be heavily domestic — on party accomplishments, unity around the leader, and improving the economy before the Eighth Party Congress”, she added, referring to a meeting of the Workers’ Party due to take place in January. But Harry Kazianis of the Center for the National Interest warned that with thousands of people involved, it could turn into a “deadly superspreader-like event” unless “extreme precautions” were used. The impoverished nation’s crumbling health system would struggle to cope with a major virus outbreak, and he added that such protective measures seemed “pretty unlikely”. “Clearly masks and missiles don’t mix.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

North Korea warns Seoul s navy over search for dead official

North Korea on Sunday warned the South Korean navy to stop crossing into its territorial waters as ships search for the body of a Seoul official shot dead at sea by Pyongyang's soldiers......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 27th, 2020

Nokor warns Seoul vs. search for dead official

North Korea on Sunday warned the South Korean navy to stop crossing into its territorial waters as ships search for the body of a Seoul official shot dead at sea by Pyongyang’s soldiers......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 27th, 2020

Typhoon Maysak drenches North and South Korea

A powerful typhoon drenched both Koreas on Thursday, killing at least one person in the South and inundating streets across a port in the North as it churned its way up the peninsula......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 3rd, 2020

US envoy urges Seoul to compromise troop payments

Washington has compromised in its demands that South Korea should pay billions of dollars towards US troop presence and it was Seoul’s turn to reciprocate, the American ambassador said Thursday. The two allies are in a security alliance and Washington stations 28,500 troops in South Korea to defend it from the nuclear-armed North, which invaded […] The post US envoy urges Seoul to compromise troop payments appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJan 16th, 2020

North Korea says will resume U.S. talks if demands fully met

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea said Saturday, January 11, it had received Donald Trump's letter wishing a happy birthday to leader Kim Jong-un, but warned it will return to nuclear talks only when Washington fully accepts its demands. The US president and Kim have held 3 meetings since June 2018 ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 11th, 2020

Top Venezuelan gov t official in North Korea – state media

SEOUL, South Korea – The right-hand man of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is in North Korea leading a "high-level delegation", state media in the North said Thursday, September 26, as both nations grapple with economic pressures from international sanctions. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un "received a personal letter and gift" ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 26th, 2019

North Korea reports 5 deaths, damage due to Typhoon Lingling

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korean state media said Sunday, September 8, 5 people had been killed in a powerful typhoon that destroyed farmland and damaged hundreds of buildings. Typhoon Lingling, called Typhoon-13 in North Korea, hit the reclusive nuclear-armed state on Saturday afternoon, September 7, reported the official KCNA news ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 8th, 2019

U.S.-South Korea military exercises still on despite North s warnings

WASHINGTON, USA – Joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea will go ahead, a Pentagon official said on Wednesday, July 31, after missile tests and calls for the drills' cancellation by North Korea. The affirmation of the annual, joint exercises came amid a series of missile launches by ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 1st, 2019

US-South Korea military exercises still on despite North s warnings

Joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea will go ahead, a Pentagon official said on Wednesday, after missile tests and calls for the drills' cancellation by North Korea......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 1st, 2019

North Korea slams South for meddling in U.S. talks

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea on Thursday, June 27, warned the South to stop "meddling" in nuclear talks between Pyongyang and Washington, denying President Moon Jae-in's assertion that dialogue was under way between the two Koreas. "The reality is the contrary," senior foreign ministry official Kwon Jong Gun said in a statement carried ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 27th, 2019

North Korea reminds China of colonial history to strengthen ties

SEOUL, South Korea – Pyongyang's relationship with Beijing is "invincible" because the countries both endured Japanese rule, North Korea said Saturday, June 22, the day after the Chinese President's  highly symbolic visit ended. The commentary, in official North Korean newspaper Rodong Sinmun, comes shortly before the G20 summit in Japan where US President ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2019

North Korea slams foolish and dangerous Pompeo

SEOUL, South Korea – A senior North Korean official on Tuesday, April 30, accused US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo of having "foolish and dangerous ideas," and warned Washington of an "unwanted outcome" if it does not adjust its stance on economic sanctions. Pyongyang and Washington have been at loggerheads since the collapse ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 30th, 2019

North Korea set to reach out for talks - Seoul

SEOUL -- Official forecast says Pyongyang will change tack in 2018, emboldened by nuclear advances North Korea is likely to explore the possibility of dialogue with the United States in 2018 as the communist state seeks recognition as a nuclear-armed country, South Korea’s Ministry of Unification said on Tuesday, Dec. 26. Read More........»»

Category: newsSource:  filipinoexpressRelated NewsApr 28th, 2019

US, Mexico could team up and meet FIFA's World Cup need

GRAHAM DUNBAR, AP Sports Writer   ZURICH (AP) — The United States and Mexico could team up and meet FIFA's need for the biggest-ever World Cup in 2026 being staged by the most host nations. Canada has also joined the North American neighbors for informal talks about a three-way bid in a contest that FIFA will complete during American President-elect Donald Trump's first term, according to persons familiar with the talks. They spoke on grounds of anonymity because the talks are confidential. FIFA's decision Tuesday to expand the 2026 tournament — to 48 teams from 32, playing 80 games instead of 64 — increased the chances of co-hosting to share the load. 'In some regions not only does it make more sense, it's the only sense,' said FIFA vice president Victor Montagliani, who leads the Canadian soccer federation. 'I think when more countries share (hosting) it's an opportunity to grow the game.' Asked specifically about a potential three-way bid with the U.S. and Mexico, Montagliani said: 'It's definitely a possibility because the rules now allow for it. 'I also respect the fact that each country has the possibility to put on the World Cup (alone) and I think the discussions will happen quite soon as to what is our region is going to look like at this World Cup as I think it is an opportunity for CONCACAF.' U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati also took part in a unanimous FIFA Council decision. Though Mexico soccer leader Decio de Maria does not sit on FIFA's strategy-setting panel, he was also in Zurich with a top-level delegation from the regional soccer body, known as CONCACAF. The region was already favored to get its first World Cup since the U.S.-hosted 1994 edition, even before Tuesday's expansion decision. It now demands more high-quality training camps, hotels and transport for 48 teams, plus FIFA officials and hundreds of thousands of visiting fans. 'It means the number of countries that can host it without building major infrastructure and stadiums is limited,' said Gulati, adding his board has a 'fundamental decision' whether to bid. The U.S. could go alone, or bid with one or both neighbors. Uniting the U.S. and Mexico could win support from more than 20 Spanish-speaking federations among 211 FIFA members that now choose the World Cup hosts. It should also appeal to FIFA's sense of soccer having a role in society, amid tense cross-border relations caused by Trump's outspoken comments on Mexico. 'Listen, I'm a football guy, I'm not a politician,' said Montagliani, who like Gulati speaks fluent Spanish. 'The only thing I know from afar about Trump is that he's a big sports guy and he's proven that in the past ... so you would hope that football will trump politics. No pun intended.' FIFA typically looks for strong government support, and has it in the next two World Cup host nations Russia and Qatar. Russian deputy prime minister Vitaly Mutko is a FIFA Council member and attended Tuesday's meeting. FIFA has allowed co-costing at just one of 22 World Cups from 1930 through 2022, which included Mexico hosting alone in 1970 and '86. FIFA's former leaders later pledged not to repeat their 'two of everything' experience of 2002 in Japan and South Korea. Still, Infantino campaigned for the presidency last year promising an open mind about pan-regional hosting. FIFA's target is May 2020 to choose the 2026 host, though that could change during meetings being held in Bahrain in May. Asked if bidding could be accelerated if only three candidates emerged, and who all wanted to work together, Infantino said: 'It is premature to discuss about it now.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Probe demands testimony from woman at heart of South Korea scandal

Probe demands testimony from woman at heart of South Korea scandal.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 7th, 2016

Seoul says North Korea capable of another nuclear test

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea is capable of detonating another nuclear device anytime at one of its unused tunnels at the country's main atomic test site, Seoul official said Monday, three days after the country carried out its fifth bomb explos.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 12th, 2016

SKorean law on NKorea human rights in effect

SEOUL: A South Korean law aimed at improving human rights in North Korea came into force on Sunday, days after reports that the regime in Pyongyang had executed a top official. The bill, proposed in 2005 but shelved for more than a decade by bickering bet.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 4th, 2016

North Korea calls diplomat defector ‘human scum’

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea said Saturday that a senior North Korean diplomat who recently defected to South Korea is a criminal and "human scum," in its first official response to the defection......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 20th, 2016

Beijing: We want peace, but will not back down from a fight

Seventy years ago, in October 1950, Chinese troops crossed the border into North Korea to assist their fellow Communist neighbor, which was being rapidly pushed back by the combined forces of South Korea and the United Nations......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 30th, 2020