Advertisements


Still no leads in killing of Lapu Muslim Affairs head

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu—The Lapu-Lapu City Police Office (LCPO) has yet to determine the motive of the killing of Abdullah Pabilla, head of the Muslim Affairs here. Pabilla was shot dead by two still unknown perpetrators riding a motorcycle near the Clean and Green Office within the Lapu-Lapu City Hall compound on Tuesday afternoon, February 23, […] The post Still no leads in killing of Lapu Muslim Affairs head appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerFeb 24th, 2021

Police still looking for witnesses in tricycle driver’s killing in Lapu-Lapu

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Police are still looking for witnesses and for footage of the security cameras in vicinity of the shooting attack that killed a tricycle driver, who is a Muslim, on March 5, 2021 in Kagudoy Road in Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City. They still could not find any witnesses to the to the […] The post Police still looking for witnesses in tricycle driver’s killing in Lapu-Lapu appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 6th, 2021

Federer joins Murray in 4th round at Australian Open

JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Roger Federer showed against 10th-seeded Tomas Berdych that his first two wins against qualifiers at the Australian Open really were warmups. The 17-time Grand Slam champion, seeded a lowly-by-his-standards 17th after spending six months on the sidelines last season, only needed 90 minutes to beat Berdych 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 in the third round on Friday night. This was against a rival who played the Wimbledon final in 2010 and reached the quarterfinals or better in Australia the previous six years. And he'd beaten Federer in six of their previous 22 matches. Federer hit some vintage backhand winners, one that earned a hearty applause from the great Rod Laver — sitting in the crowd at the stadium named in his honor — in the second set. He had 40 winners and won 95 percent of points when he got his first serve into play. He didn't face a breakpoint. 'Crazy how quick I got out of the blocks — I did surprise myself,' Federer said of his almost flawless performance against Berdych. 'I did feel like I struggled a bit in the first two rounds.' He next plays fifth-ranked Kei Nishikori, who beat Lukas Lacko 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 to reach the fourth round for a sixth straight year at Melbourne Park. Federer leads that matchup 4-2, winning the last three. The winner of that has a potential quarterfinal against top-ranked Andy Murray, who showed no signs of trouble with his sore ankle as he advanced to the Round of 16 for the ninth straight year with a 6-4, 6-2, 6-4 win over No. 31 Sam Querrey. It was Querrey who ended then No. 1-ranked Novak Djokovic's impressive Grand Slam run in the third round at Wimbledon last year. At that time, Djokovic had won four straight major titles — Wimbledon and U.S. Open in 2015 and Australian Open and French Open in 2016. Murray, who replaced Djokovic at No. 1 last November, said he was surprised at the six-time Australian Open champion's second-round loss to Denis Istomin the previous night. But the five-time Australian Open runner-up didn't think it changed anything for him, unless he reached the final. 'I wasn't scheduled to play Novak today, so my job's to concentrate on Sam and to go into that match with a clear head and a good game plan and try to play well,' said Murray, who lost to Djokovic in four of the five finals he has contested in Melbourne. 'I did that. 'Obviously, if you're to get to the final, then it has an effect.' Murray injured his right ankle in the second round, and said he was hesitant at first but warmed into the match against Querrey. 'I felt better and better as the match went on in terms of my movement,' Murray said. 'I was moving well at the end — it was very positive.' Murray next plays Mischa Zverev. Seven-time major winner Venus Williams routed Duan Yingying 6-1, 6-0 in less than an hour to progress to the fourth round for the 10th time since her Australian Open debut in 1998. 'It's good (but) it's never enough,' she said, looking ahead to her fourth-round match against Mona Barthel. 'I've tasted it before and it's always a great feeling because it means, hey, I have an opportunity for the quarterfinals. That's what I'm going to go for.' The last two Americans in the men's draw lost within an hour of each other. After Querrey's exit, No. 23-seeded Jack Sock lost 7-6 (4), 7-5, 6-7 (8), 6-3 to No. 12 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. There are no more Australians in the men's draw, either, after Daniel Evans beat Bernard Tomic 7-5, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (3). U.S. Open champion Stan Wawrinka had 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, 7-6 (7) win over Viktor Troicki to move into a fourth-round match against Andreas Seppi. In the last match of day five, French Open champion Garbine Muguruza closed out with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Anastasia Sevastova. Top-ranked Angelique Kerber had a straight-sets win for the first time in her first Australian Open title defense, 6-0, 6-4 against Kristyna Pliskova. She next play 35th-ranked CoCo Vandeweghe, who reached the fourth round in Australia for the first time with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 win over 2014 semifinalist Eugenie Bouchard. Two-time major winner Svetlana Kuznetsova held off former No. 1-ranked Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 5-7, 9-7 in 3 ½ hours. Australian Open organizers were briefed by Victoria state police over an incident in downtown Melbourne where a man deliberately drove into a street crowded with pedestrians, killing three people and injuring 20. Police said the incident, about three kilometers (two miles) from Melbourne Park, had no links to terrorism. 'Be assured there is no threat to the precinct,' Australian Open organizers said in a statement. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Lapu opens trade fair, art exhibit

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines- The Lapu-Lapu City Government has opened today, April 16, 2021, the 500th Victory at Mactan Trade Fair and Art Exhibit in a mall in Barangay Pusok, here. The activity was attended by Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan, City Tourism Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission chairperson Cindi Chan, members of the city […] The post Lapu opens trade fair, art exhibit appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 16th, 2021

Massacre suspects fall

BY GLAZYL MASCULINO BACOLOD CITY – Police here arrested two of three persons linked to the killing of four relatives due to a reported failed illegal drug transaction of one of the victims in Gardenville Subdivision, Barangay Tangub, this city, last Wednesday. Police Major Joery Puerto, head of the Police Station 8, identified the two […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsApr 8th, 2021

Lapu-Lapu City Heroes still far from reaching full potential, says coach 

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The head coach of the ARQ Builders Lapu-Lapu City Heroes believes the team is still far from top form as competition in the Pilipinas VisMin Super Cup nears.  Head coach Francis Auquico, who is one of the coaches of the vaunted Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu (SHS-AdC) Magis Eagles high school […] The post Lapu-Lapu City Heroes still far from reaching full potential, says coach  appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 31st, 2021

Senior citizens in Cebu City to start getting P3K aid on Mar. 27

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Senior citizens in Cebu City are getting the first tranche of their yearly financial assistance tomorrow, March 27, 2021, worth P3,000. Office for the Senior Citizens’ Affairs (OSCA) head, Jeffrey Ocampo, said everything is ready for the house-to-house distribution among the barangays. As before, the distribution will take 10 working days […] The post Senior citizens in Cebu City to start getting P3K aid on Mar. 27 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 26th, 2021

Aside from Battle of Mactan, Lapu to also host Quincentennial-related events

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – Aside from the upcoming celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Victory at Mactan, the Lapu-Lapu City government is also preparing to host some activities related to the 500 Years of Christianity (YOC). Cindi Chan, the chairperson of the City Tourism Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (TCHAC), said that on April […] The post Aside from Battle of Mactan, Lapu to also host Quincentennial-related events appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 26th, 2021

Lapu-Lapu records over 2K COVID cases in less than 3 months – Bañacia

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu – Lapu-Lapu City logged a total of 2, 660 cases of the coronavirus disease from March 1 to December 31, 2020. This year, the city logged 2, 608 cases in less than three months, from January 1 to March 21. Nagiel Bañacia, head of the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said […] The post Lapu-Lapu records over 2K COVID cases in less than 3 months – Bañacia appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 24th, 2021

No more Manila actors in Battle of Mactan reenactment

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — The Lapu-Lapu City government will implement changes in the upcoming reenactment of the Battle of Mactan, in line with the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Victory at Mactan. Cindi Chan, the chairperson of the City Tourism Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (TCHAC), said that one of the major adjustments […] The post No more Manila actors in Battle of Mactan reenactment appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 23rd, 2021

Mandaue to ask RIATF: Decide on tricities’ unified curfew proposal

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — The Mandaue City government will follow what the Regional Inter-Agency Task Force (RIATF) on COVID-19 will decide on the recommendation of a unified curfew for the tri-cities of Mandaue, Lapu-Lapu and Cebu. Lawyer August Lizer Malate, head of the Mandaue City Emergency Operations Center (EOC), said the Mandaue City government would […] The post Mandaue to ask RIATF: Decide on tricities’ unified curfew proposal appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 18th, 2021

Calbayog police chief axed over mayor’s slay

The chief of the Calbayog City police has been removed from his post in connection with the killing of Mayor Ronaldo Aquino and the supposed attempt of the head of the intelligence unit to profile lawyers of alleged communists......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 14th, 2021

9 Lapu-Lapu health dept. employees positive of COVID-19

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – Nine Lapu-Lapu City Health Department (LCHD) employees and contact tracers tested positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). This was confirmed by Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan in a press briefing on Wednesday, February 24, 2021. The positive employees include Grace Carungay, Chan’s sister and head of the City Epidemiology and […] The post 9 Lapu-Lapu health dept. employees positive of COVID-19 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2021

COVID-19 vaccination simulation in Lapu postponed

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu—Lapu-Lapu City has postponed the holding of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination simulation on Wednesday, February 24, 2021.  This was confirmed by Mark Anthony Bautista, public information officer of Lapu-Lapu City. He said that the simulation was canceled after the head of the Lapu-Lapu City Health Department (LCHD), Dr. Agnes Realiza, was […] The post COVID-19 vaccination simulation in Lapu postponed appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2021

Chan leads distribution of COVID-19 leaflets

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – The Lapu-Lapu City Government has already started distributing leaflets containing information on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccine today, February 23, 2021. Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan led the distribution of the leaflets this morning at the Lapu-Lapu City Public Market in Barangay Poblacion. Chan said that the move aims to encourage […] The post Chan leads distribution of COVID-19 leaflets appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2021

Preventive evacuation : 40 families evacuated in Lapu-Lapu

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — The Lapu-Lapu City government has already imposed preventive evacuation to 40 families in three barangays here. Annabeth Cuizon, head of the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO), said that 28 families in Barangay Baring, Olango Island were evacuated to the Baring Elementary School. She added that Barangay Buaya has evacuated […] The post Preventive evacuation : 40 families evacuated in Lapu-Lapu appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 21st, 2021

Traffic violation leads to arrest in Lapu-Lapu of 12 alleged MNLF recruits

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — A traffic violation led to the arrest in Punta Engaño, Lapu-Lapu City on Sunday, February 14, of 12 men, who claimed to be members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) . The 12 men, who are not mostly from Lapu-Lapu City and were wearing military uniforms, would be charged for […] The post Traffic violation leads to arrest in Lapu-Lapu of 12 alleged MNLF recruits appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 15th, 2021

Lapu-Lapu City starts identifying individuals to be prioritized for vaccination

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – The Lapu-Lapu City Government will now start listing the persons who will be prioritized in the city’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program. Dr. Agnes Realiza, head of the City Health Department, said that the city will be prioritizing medical frontliners, senior citizens, and indigent individuals. Realiza revealed that the city […] The post Lapu-Lapu City starts identifying individuals to be prioritized for vaccination appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 5th, 2021

Lapu to transform some public schools into isolation facilities

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – The Lapu-Lapu City Government is planning to utilize public schools as isolation facilities for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) positive patients. Dr. Agnes Realiza, head of the Lapu-Lapu City Health Department, said that this is due to the rise of COVID-19 cases in the city. Earlier, Realiza said that they are preparing […] The post Lapu to transform some public schools into isolation facilities appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 4th, 2021

Uniform rules on accepting domestic passengers pushed

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — The GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC) is encouraging local government units (LGUs) in Cebu to have uniform guidelines on accepting domestic passengers. According to Aines Librodo, GMCAC head for airline marketing, said that this was to avoid confusion and discouragement of domestic passengers, especially tourists. She said that the different guidelines […] The post Uniform rules on accepting domestic passengers pushed appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 4th, 2021

MCIA logs ‘very low’ passenger traffic for 2020

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines –The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) has only recorded a ‘very low’ 2.7 million combined passenger traffic in 2020 for both domestic and international travel. This was confirmed by Aines Librodo, GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC) head for Airline Marketing. Librodo said that the 1.9 million domestic travel traffic is very low, compared […] The post MCIA logs ‘very low’ passenger traffic for 2020 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 4th, 2021