Advertisements


UK PM in hospital as queen says united effort will defeat virus

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was taken to hospital on Sunday after failing to shake off coronavirus symptoms, as Queen Elizabeth II said a united effort would defeat the outbreak......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarApr 6th, 2020

Yes Sir: Andy Murray confident he can break Aussie drought

JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Andy Murray has become a father, gained the No. 1 ranking and received a knighthood since he left Melbourne Park 50 weeks ago after losing a fifth Australian Open final. Stress weighed him down at the season-opening Grand Slam in 2016, to the point where he thought about quitting the tournament to head back to Britain to be with his heavily pregnant wife. But even that would have presented problems, considering his father-in-law was in a Melbourne hospital after collapsing with an illness while watching a match at the Australian Open. Clearly, he's in a better place this year as he seeks to end his Australian drought. 'I obviously feel pretty confident after the way that last season finished,' he said. 'I do love it here. I love the conditions. I have played really well here over the years, and just haven't managed to get over the final hurdle. 'But, yeah, I think I'm in a decent position, for sure, to do it. I think I have a chance to win here. I'm playing well. Practice has been good. I feel healthy. I'll give it a good shot.' Rumors circulated last year that Murray would go home before facing Djokovic, his Melbourne nemesis, in the final. As it was, he was on the first flight to Heathrow after losing in straight sets — his fourth Australian Open final defeat to Djokovic and fifth overall dating back to 2010. His wife, Kim Sears, gave birth to their first child, Sophia Olivia, the following week. He confirmed Saturday, two days before he opens the 2017 tournament against Illya Marchenko of Ukraine, that he really had thought about leaving early. 'It was a tough tournament, obviously the situation with Kim and the baby coming was tough,' he said. 'Then with what happened with Nigel during the event made it really kind of awkward because there was times ... it was like 'I want to home for the birth,' but then I'm not just going to leave while my father-in-law is also in hospital. 'It was tough, and certainly not a position I would want to put myself in again, or my wife, or any of my family really.' Murray had a stunning end to 2016 after reuniting with Ivan Lendl as coach in June, winning his second Wimbledon title, defending his Olympic gold medal, and adding titles in Beijing, Shanghai, Vienna and Paris to end Djokovic's 122-week stint at No. 1. He then clinched the year-end No. 1 ranking by winning the ATP Finals, beating the players seeded second, third, fourth and fifth. He set a record for most time between gaining the No. 2 and No. 1 rankings — seven years, and 82 days. But he has set a lot of timely records for British tennis in the last three seasons and, in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year's honors list, he received a knighthood from the British monarch for reaching the pinnacle of the sport. Roger Federer was asked if he could remember what it was like back in 2004 when he first became No. 1, and how he'd explain it to Murray. 'It definitely feels different because everybody comes up to you and says, 'You're the best,'' said Federer, who spent a record 302 weeks at No. 1. 'You start walking around a bit differently. Just feel more confident overall in your shots.' Murray said he hasn't really felt a difference yet, but it has only been eight weeks. Considering how hard it was to achieve the top spot, he's hoping it doesn't take twice the energy to hang on to it. 'It is a mindset thing, because I think it could be quite easy that once you get to No. 1 that you think, 'Well, actually, I just need to keep doing what I've been doing,'' he said. 'The reality is that things obviously keep moving on, the game will get better, I'll obviously get older, the young guys will continue to improve, and also Novak and Roger and Stan (Wawrinka) and Rafa (Nadal) and all the guys at the top are still going to be wanting to get there. 'I need to continue to improve. I for sure need to keep working hard.' One thing he doesn't really want to change is how people refer to him now that formally he's recognized as Sir Andy Murray, particularly the broadcasters. 'I'm more than happy just being Andy. That's enough for me,' he said. 'Yeah, if they call me Andy, I'd be happy with that.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

PH cases of UK COVID-19 variant rise to 17

By ANALOU DE VERA The total number of confirmed cases of the B.1.1.7 variant of the COVID-19 virus (United Kingdom variant) in the country has increased to 17, the Department of Health (DoH) announced Friday night. “Following strengthened biosurveillance activities amid the detection of the first B.1.1.7 variant in the country last Jan. 13, the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 23rd, 2021

America begins a new day

Washington---Joe Biden on Wednesday became the 46th president of the United States with a call to unity, vowing to bridge deep divides and defeat domestic extremism two weeks after a mob attack tried to undo his election victory......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 21st, 2021

‘8 co-passengers of 1st variant patient test positive’

Eight persons who were on the same flight as the country’s first case of the United Kingdom variant of COVID-19 were found positive for the original virus, the Philippine Red Cross reported yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2021

Coffin stored in break room as Los Angeles funeral home overwhelmed

A corpse in the break room. Embalmed bodies in the garage.  During AFP’s visit, a casket topped with a small wreath of flowers occupied the funeral home employee break room beyond the front desk Boyd Funeral Home, a small family business in Los Angeles, is so overflowing with Covid-19 victims it has begun turning away customers for the first time in its history. “The weekend before I turned down 16 families that I couldn’t do services for,” said owner Candy Boyd.  “It’s sad. But that’s pretty much how it is now.” In the past two weeks, as coronavirus has slammed Los Angeles, some 80 percent of the deceased passing through her doors died from Covid. One-in-10 residents of the nation’s second largest city has been infected since the pandemic began, with nearly 300 people dying daily last week as the virus surges. At Boyd’s reception desk, the phones keep ringing, mostly going unanswered as her overwhelmed staff have abandoned setting appointments and now tell customers to just show up and get in line. She is even receiving calls from desperate families in other counties more than an hour’s drive away.  Many hospital morgues are also full, with local coroners using refrigerated trucks to accommodate the victim load and some cemeteries warning of two week waiting lists. “Things are getting more and more out of control,” said Boyd. During AFP’s visit this week, a casket topped with a small wreath of flowers occupied the employee break room beyond the front desk. It had been there for a week. “This room is our lunch area, however, we are having to use this room for space for caskets,” said the owner. “We’ve done the services but the cemetery is so backed up… we have to hold them here until they have time to do the burial.” – Bodies in the garage – Like much of surrounding South Los Angeles, the Westmont neighborhood is mainly inhabited by Black and Latino working class communities living in densely populated homes. These demographics have been hit particularly hard by Covid, with mortality rates two or three times higher than nearby affluent communities. Boyd’s funeral home cold storage room has been consistently full. Two weeks ago, Boyd brought in craftsmen to erect two large wooden structures in the company’s garage to store embalmed bodies. “He hasn’t even gotten a chance to really finish because we needed (to store) these,” she said, pointing to corpses wrapped in body bags lying on the rough shelves. “I would never imagined having to build that in my wildest dreams.” Some funeral homes have reported a shortage of coffins due to lack of wood, though Boyd’s supplier has kept up with orders so long as they are placed early enough. – ‘Nightmares’ – Worried about her five staff catching the virus at the start of the pandemic, Boyd initially refused to accept Covid victims. “I was having nightmares. I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep,” she recalled.  Boyd has since created safety protocols and now feels comfortable dealing with the influx, although she insists it is “not about the money.” “It’s about helping families and helping them get through this crisis,” she said. “It takes a toll on me every day, I’m dealing with this,” Boyd added. “And I have to keep a stolid face because I have to be there for the family.”  Sometimes, customers are people she has long known personally. Other times, Boyd encounters families who still refuse to wear masks or respect physical distance, even as they make arrangements to bury their loved ones.  “The numbers don’t lie. It’s true. It’s real,” said Boyd of the disease. Cases in California have more than doubled since early December to 2.8 million. “If you don’t take it serious,” she warned an AFP journalist, “you could be one of the people that are in my back row back there, you know!”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsJan 17th, 2021

IATF creates task group on new virus variants

In compliance with President Duterte’s directive, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases has created a technical working group or TWG to focus on monitoring and understanding the new variant of COVID-19, which originated from the United Kingdom......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 6th, 2021

Pinay nurse in UK recognized for work during pandemic

Queen Elizabeth II has awarded Filipina nurse Charito Romano with the British Empire Medal for outstanding work at a nursing care home in the midst of the pandemic in the United Kingdom......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2021

Bagong COVID-19 nakapasok sa Vietnam

Umabot na sa Vietnam ang bagong Covid-19 strain na sinasabing mas malubha at mas nakakahawang uri ng virus na nagmula sa United Kingdom. The post Bagong COVID-19 nakapasok sa Vietnam first appeared on Abante......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2021

PAL won& rsquo;t accept foreigners from US owing to virus ban

Flag carrier Philippine Airlines on Saturday announced it will not accept in its flights foreign nationals coming from the United States after the government included the US in the list of countries covered by travel restrictions owing to the new coronavirus strain......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2021

New virus strain spreads to US

The United States will be added to the list of countries on which the Philippines will enforce a temporary travel ban once the US officially declares to a World Health Organization body that the new strain of the coronavirus has entered its borders, the Department of Health said Wednesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 31st, 2020

US death toll from virus highest-ever

The US logged its highest ever daily death toll from the coronavirus Wednesday as the world prepares to turn the page on a grim year defined by the pandemic, with much of the globe united in one hope for 2021: that a slew of new vaccines will stamp out Covid-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 31st, 2020

Virus halts City-Everton clash

LONDON, United Kingdom (AFP) — Manchester City’s Premier League visit to Everton on Monday was postponed after multiple new positive tests for coronavirus were detected among Pep Guardiola’s squad. City already announced on Christmas Day there had been four positive tests at the club for players Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus and two staff members. […] The post Virus halts City-Everton clash appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 30th, 2020

Aussie golf great Norman returns to hospital for virus treatment

Miami---Australian golf legend Greg Norman returned to hospital for further treatment after testing positive for COVID-19, saying on Instagram he hoped it was his “final update on this COVID saga.”.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 29th, 2020

Philippines ban on travelers from UK extended

President Duterte has extended the travel ban on flights coming from the United Kingdom for another two weeks from Dec. 31, in an effort to keep out the new strain of coronavirus......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 27th, 2020

Return of in-person classes on hold due to virus mutation concerns

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte canceled limited in-person classes, which were supposed to be pilot-tested in January, amid rising concerns over the new coronavirus variant that was first reported in the United Kingdom early this month and is feared to be more infectious than the earlier form. Duterte announced his decision on Saturday during a […] The post Return of in-person classes on hold due to virus mutation concerns appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 27th, 2020

According to USC, all UK air travelers require negative Kovid tests, as the mutant virus originates.

The US will require all air travelers arriving from the United Kingdom to test negative for the Kovid-19 New Coronovirus variants identified in UK.........»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsDec 25th, 2020

Too many chiefs

For the nth time, Malacanang gave Health Secretary Francisco Duque a pass. Lucky guy. Maybe the Palace is right that what happened with the Pfizer vaccine is no big deal. What does it matter if the vaccine is delayed for six months? It only means that the virus will kill more Filipinos. Did the effort to procure 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine for January 2021 fail because Secretary Duque dropped the ball? Duque denies it and vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez is insisting that there is no fiasco because the negotiations are still on......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 25th, 2020

Million vaccinated as US eyes return to normal next summer

WASHINGTON, United States — More than a million Americans have received the first dose of their Covid-19 vaccines, a senior official said Wednesday, as the US eyes a return to normal by next summer. The news comes as the winter surge in cases rages across the country, where the virus has claimed more than 320,000 lives […] The post Million vaccinated as US eyes return to normal next summer appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 24th, 2020

PH bans travel from Britain

The Philippines is temporarily banning flights from the United Kingdom from Dec. 24 to 31 due to concerns over the spread of a new variant of SARS-COV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), emerging in the UK......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 23rd, 2020

& lsquo;More Filipino OFW nurses die of virus because of work ethic& rsquo;

Filipino nurses in the United States of America and other parts of the world are bearing the brunt of the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic because of their exceptional work ethic that drives them to spend more days and longer hours in the hospitals where they serve, Anakalusugan party-list Rep. Michael Defensor said on Sunday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 20th, 2020